Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sending love from the city of 20 million people


                                                                                  May 16, 2013
Hola Familia!

So I'm into my third week here and it's been so great! Last Saturday we got to go out and do proseletismo which was super awesome. I almost couldn't believe that they just send us out to the middle of the city with only our equally as gringo companion and tell us to go share the gosple after only 2 weeks of being here. Super crazy, but amazing! When Saturday came we were all suppose to get on a bus together that would drop each companionship off at our different locations. So we went outside to get ready and then one of the Argentine teachers calls "Hermana Ashcroft y Christensen y Hermana Lutz Crowley"... So we went over to him to see what he wanted and he told us that there was no room on the bus for all of us, so us 4 were going to have to take a taxi. If you can't tell by the names, all of us are complete gringos and don't speak spanish. And then he told us that the taxi wouldn't be there for awhile, so it wouldn't be able to follow the bus, so we would have to explain to him were to go... in a city that we don't know... at all. I immeditaely lost the draw and got booted to be the one that had to sit in the front seat with the driver cause I 'know the most spanish' which believe me when I say, that isn't saying anything, it just shows how little spanish we had between us. The taxi showed up though and we made the 40 minute drive into our area and he just dropped us off at a random street corner (which ended up not even being the right place) and we had to use a map that they hadn't explained to us and try to find our area and the place we would be getting picked up at hours later. Talk about sketch haha. And although we almost missed our ride back to the CCM, we figured it all out eventually and made it. During proseletismo was super awesome though. At first my compañera and I were kinda lost, but then we found quite a few people that we could talk to, we taught a few lessons, gave out our Libro De Mormóns and our pamphlets and we even got 2 return appointments for this Saturday! We're gonna teach a lady named Karina and her little 2 year old boy, and we're gonna teach a boy names Augustine and his family of 8. It's incredible how much the Lord can accomplish through 2 Hermanas that don't even know the language and yet we were able to communicate well enough everything that was necessary to say. At one point we ended up in a kinda sketch part of town and a lady we talked to said (in spanish of course) "don't be talking to people around here, you girls are far too pretty to be walking around by yourselves, it's not safe for you here". Yeah... that for sure made us feel all warm and fuzzy. We walked for a bit more though and then just decided to pray right there in the street for some guidance and comfort. I can promise to you that prayer always works, and you can be as specific we your prayers and you want and the Lord will hear and answer them, cause he defintiely answered ours. And within minutes we were back where we should be and we were teaching a man named José that we gave a book of Mormon too and the address and time of our church meeting so that he could try out the church and learn more. Also- the women in Argentina seem to always been grumpy and not care to talk to you at all, but the old men are so nice and the best to talk with... not sure if that's creepy or not... In any case, I'm so excited to go back out the Saturday and teach the families we made appointments with and try to find more people!

Things really are going so well and I love doing this work every single day to learn as much as a can so that I can hopefully help some people to have this happiness in their lives. The waking up has finally started to hit me and I definitely am tired in the mornings some days (thank you mom for the zip fizz!). Also, the language is becoming more complicated, and every day after Activida Fisica, around 4 or 5 o'clock, I start to get a language headache. My brain just feels like there is too much in it and I can no longer speak spanish or english for that matter haha. All my verbs and conjugations just blow up in my brain. Yesterday was really bad, and when my companions and I went to teach our Progressive Investigator (IP) I don't think I said a single thing right. I gave him a book of mormon and he asked if he had to pay for it and I basically told him "no it's a natural talent for you" hahah. Our teacher was looking at me so confused and trying not to laugh the whole lesson cause I kept saying all the wrong words for everything haha. I just keep telling myself that my brain is having growing pains but that it will be super big in no time so that I can speak normally.

So most of your guys's letters I am replying to via a letter that I wrote this week. So you should get it in the mail in about 2 weeks I think. Let me know how long it takes to get to you guys and if you have ever gotten my other 2 letters yet. And thanks dad for being concerned about my suitcases haha, they made it here in one peice which is good! They're trooping along as of right now.

I told you all that I got a new companion and along with that came 2 more companionships into our district and it has made me just love my district all the more! One Elder Brewer is the funniest thing ever, he took sign language for a lot of years, so he is always trying to talk with his hands and and the poor chap just struggles in the most hilarious of ways that we all always end up laughing so hard. And when in doubt of what the word is in Spanish, we all just add and 'o' onto the english word when we say it in hopes that it will work. However, the other day we ended up saying a super bad swear word I guess... So the moral of the story is don't make up words. It's bad. haha.

From now on we get an hour each week to write which is so nice! And my district will be wrting on Thursdays starting at around 8am our time. Possible 10am some weeks.

I have to give a shout out to Julia and her being married now, Congrats! I'm so happy for you!
And also one to the most adorable nephew in the world that just got blessed, and to my sister and brother that are the wonderful parents of baby bear.

And also (this one's important) to my Norwegian Thea Skandsen!! I know it was your birthday like forever ago, and I've been thiniking of it for ever now but haven't been able to tell you so yet! Happy Birthday sister! I hope you had such a wonderful day and I hope you know that I love you dearly!

Also to Emmie Buma and Aubrey Nilsson- Happiest of birthday's to you two! Be sure to let me know if you get married in the next year and half! hahah, but really.

And to Amaya who has written me but I haven't been able to reply- send me and address for one. Hope you are preparing and are so excited for your mission for two. and C number 3 happy birthday to you this month too!

I love you all so much and hope everything is going well!

Hermana Ashcroft

No comments:

Post a Comment