Thursday, May 30, 2013

Adios Buenos Aires!


Buen Día Familía!

I hope you all are smiling right at this exact moment, cause I definitely am! I have just loved everything so much here! Here's the news for the last week:

Friday we got to go out as a district and get contacts around the temple. We'll always take any excuse to get outisde, so of course it was fabulous. The people we usually talk to around the temple are often the sweetest old people you ever have met, that have got to be at least 104 years old. I love talking with them, and I'm sure I would love it even more if I could understand what they say. The young youth that we'll talk to occassionally are much easier to understand though.
Saturday, we went out for Proselitismo again, except in a new area this time. My compañera and I had a very interesting area, definitely different than our last one. It bordered a really busy street that had lots of shops on it (some of which were sometimes a bit sketch or of the night-time apperal sort haha). As we walked further into our area though we got into more houses. We didn't have as much success this time, but we were able to understand a lot more spanish and have more meaningful conversations with the people that we did talk to. Some of which were an evangelical, an athiest, an evangelical, a catholic, oh and more evangelicals... everyone is evangelical. Which I'll be honest, I don't even really know what that means! But they believe in God, so we've got some common ground at least. Also, my compañera almost accidentally bought a whole sack of potatoes just by waving to someone haha super funny! And we ate like homeless people sitting on the side of the street cause there were no benches or parks, so we got some good looks haha.
Sunday was really great. So every week there's a topic for that Sunday, and eveyone in the CCM has to write a talk in spanish and then after the Sacrament is administered a district leader will get up and announce which 5 missionaries the president has chosen to talk. So you better prepare your talk every week, cause you never know if it's going to be you. Well this week my number got drawn and I was called up to speak about Caridad y Amor. SIDE NOTE: We were placing bets how long it would take a missionary to mix up the word caridad (charity) with castidad (chastity). Lo and behold, the very first elder that gets up to speak says "today the topic im speaking on is chastity and love". Maybe I should be better, but I promise you it took all my effort to not snort out loud from laughter! Anyways, I gave my talk which involved talking a lot about D&C 12:6, D&C 12:8, Mosiah 4:16, and then ending with the promise in D&C 81:5-6... if any of you care to look those us and see what you can learn. I definitely enjoyed making the correlations between them and speaking about their importance. So I spoke for the usually about 5 minutes and was just glad that I never said castidad instead of caridad. Although I may have said "I love you, Jesus." Which isn't too bad, just a bit preachy sounding and not what I was going for... But it's alright cause another hermana in my district that spoke right after my said "I love myelf, Jesus". Probably not even funny, but we laughed for probably 30 minutes about that. And then my compañera Hermana Christensen and I gave the lesson for our Didtrict meeting right after sacrament, and I thought we did really good considering we didn't really plan much. We've become really good at teaching with eachother and picking up where the other leaves off. I'm gonna miss having her as my comp, it's been so effortless with her, I love it!
On monday my district and I came up with a fun game of 'blind bottle toss' hahah. Hermana Harman in our district is blind in one eye, so in tribute to her we spent a long time one day chucking water bottles at eachother with one eye shut hahah. It's pretty trippy to try actually! And I don't know how, but we found so much fun in doing that haha. Also, our district is practically a zoo now. We decided what animal everyone would be and we've got: a bear, a bunny, elk, egyptian cat, salmon, cow, cocker spanial (cant spell), zebra, badger, baby baboon, turkey vulture, and I'm a merekat apparently haha.
And now for the big day: wednesday we got to go and meet Elder Cook and hear him speak!!! It really was so wonderful! I can't ever get your suit jacket washed mom cause he touched it for so long while shaking my hand! We also got to meet and hear from Elder Gonzales who is the missionary leader for all of south america. I remember him speaking in general Conference before. I really was so amazing to hear from them and be able to meet them! I learned so much. Shucks... I wanted to share something with you guys about it, but I wrote it in my other notebook that I forgot to bring with me, so now I can't remember haha. I just know that I am still beaming from being able to meet him!
And now it's Thursday and we just got back from the temple which I always love! It was my last time that I'll be able to go to the temple cause I leave in 5 days, on Tuesday, to Neuquen which is so crazy!! I'm gonna miss all the missionaries here cause all of them are going to Uruguay or Paraguay. But I'm so excited to get out there and meet my trainer!

Here's a picture for you and hopefully I'm able to attach some more in another e-mail! love you all lots!!

 Also, thank you grandma, Kaden, and Kelsey Haddox for the Dear Elders!!

Love you all mucho!
Hermana Ashcroft


 Just your typical missionary standard works... what I study from every day.

This is my companera, my district and I on the temple grounds!



No comments:

Post a Comment