Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Stuck in el Baño


So there's lots that I could say, about the country, my companion, the area, the people, the work... but this week with my bit of time, I'm going to tell you about my interesting experience....

So our landlord hired somebody last monday to but up a small retaining wall in our bathroom the keep the water in while we shower. (which is super nice cause now everything won't just flood all over the floor haha). Well we couldn't use our shower for 2 days after that so that the cement could dry, so he told us that we could use the bathroom he has in the garage to shower in the mornings. So the next morning I was super exhausted (i'ts important to know that) and my companion hiked down the stairs and showered first in the garage. When she came back up, obviously I went down. So I walked into the garage and into the bathroom and immediately Pushed the door shut behind me (like anyone would do..) However, I realized immediately afterwards that there wasn't a door handle on this door.... and when the doors here shut, they shut real good, with no hole or gap to open them. Well this realization immediately woke me up real good! I looked around and saw that there was nothing but a tiny tiny window too high to reach and the entire bathroom was about my arms length. Never have I felt so clausterphobic!! I had no idea what to do haha! Now this bathroom is directly beneath our bathroom, so I got the Idea to take the brook stick that was in the bathroom and bang on the cieling, hoping for my companion to notice that it was me. However, all she thought was "how weird that someone is doing contruction this early". Finally I rememberd that the tiny bathroom window in our apartment was open, so I started jumping to open the window in this bathroom so that I could yell and she would hopefully hear me. Well I succeded in opening the window, but my companion was listening to the music just loud enough that she couldn't hear me shouting for her saying "HERMANA! Estoy aqui!! AYUDAME!". So I resorted to banging the ceiling again, and I remembered that the other day I had thaught her the tune "Da Da Da Da Da.. DA DA!" (oops... just realized you guys can't necesarrily read what tune that is... haha well take a guess if you can). Anyways I started banging that super loud and the whole time I just kept thinkinking "my companions got to come get me sometime! There's no way she can't realize that I am taking way too much time in the bathroom". Well meanwhile my companion is just thinking " How funny that the construction sounds a bit like the tune hermana ashcroft taught me!!" EN SERIO!?!? 
well my companion did eventually come to see why I still wasn't back... 45 minutes later!!! She walked down and I heard her say "hermana?..." I responed "Aqui estoy!" and she finally realized it and asked me if it was me that had been doing the ´contruction´... hahha. And then she had to wake up the land lord for him to find the door handle to get me out.. hahah. Maybe it's not as funny in writing, but I honestly could not believe that I litterally got stuck in a bathroom. 

Well other than that lovely experience, things are going great! We've got another baptism date for the end of october for a single mother named Alejandra. The story of how she's changed and began to accept listeing to us is really awesome because at the begining she didn't want anything to do with us, and only a few week later she was chazing us down the street to give us her new phone number so we could call to set up a meeting. Obviously there's more, but in short, it's a great example of how the spirit really can change people's hearts. 

Transfers are at the end of this week... there's a lot more hermanas coming, so I'm pretty sure that my companion and I are going to seperate.. which is sad cause we get along so well and have such a great time together. But I'm excited to see what will happen. Let you know when I do. 

love you all to the moon and back (which by the way, I saw an eclipse a couple weeks ago!) 
pray for you all everyday! 

Hermana Ashcroft

PS- A good shout out to Grandma Ashcroft! Gracias G-ma for the great letter! love you lots! 

PSS- Spanish sign language is awesome! I'm loving learning a bit of it with the lady in our area that is deaf. My compaion and I have a great time trying to talk in sign language together haha. 

also- still love you all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment