Sunday, September 29, 2013

Vientoso


September 11, 2013
Hola familia, 

Sorry I didn't write monday... the wind here is incredible. It's like aruba here were it's nearly always windy, but the wind here is 20 times stronger! All the power was out monday from the wind and tuesday there still wasn't internet in the cybers. Our district leader let our zone leader know that we couldn't leave our houses or write cause of the wind, and then told us that if we didn't have appointments that we didn't have to leave. My companion and I had worked hard to get appointments that monday night though, so we didn't want to cancel them. Cause it can be so hard to get people to commit to a cita. So we left our apartment to walk to 35 minutes to our appointement and I cant even tell you how crazy it was! We were nearly falling over from the wind! I was lauging so hard cause I couldn't believe it, but that just caused me to eat a lot of sand... we practically walked blinded cause we couldn't really open our eyes. I think I've got about 10 pounds of sand that entered my body through my nose ears mouth, and every other hole we've got... at least now I can blame that 10 pounds of weight I've gained on the sand (I've definitely gained a lot of weight... pasta and pan... no bueno haha). We survived the wind though and made it to our 2 citas that night and both of them actually were home and opened the door for us! (although with that wind its not like they could have been anywhere else haha)
Tuesday continued with really strong wind, but not quite as bad, and it's a lot calmer today. But supposedly the really strong wind is common here... We have to be careful with what skirts we wear haha. 

We're teaching a girl named Monica that can't hear, so my companion and I are trying to learn sign language now too... Spanish sign language is a lot different than english sign language if you were wondering. Monica knows how to talk really well and can read lips pretty well, but there's lots that we have to learn in sign language to be able to communicate better with her. So now am not only trying to learn spanish, but spanish sign language as well... haha. I always feel like I have so much more to learn... with the language, the gosple, the scriptures and everything! But that's really what everything is about right? continuing progressing and learning more and more every day. there's always more that we can learn, and I'm really loving learning all that I can. Doesn't mean it's not hard though haha. 

We got an investigator named facundo this past week that made me think of Andy. He really is like the argentine version of andy with how similar he is to him. The way he talks, looks, acts... and to me it was a tender mercy from the lord. I know without a doubt that the plan of salvation is real. And as sad as it may be at this time, the plan of salvation gives us a much bigger picture of the purpose of life and the happiness we can recieve from knowing of god's plan for us.

I love you all so much! I was gonna send some pictures, but the computer doesn't have a plug in thingy for my camera haha.

Things are changing rapidly in the mission work. we're no longer counting contacts (not that we've stopped making them, they're just not in our weekly reports) and we no longer count 'other lessons'... our estandarte is based only on lessons with members present now, and lessons with recent converts and less actives. Every lesson with investigators now should be with a member. The mission is working hard to strengthen the barrios through member relationships. And the obra misonal is growing and changing so much! it's incredible. 

anyways, no more time. Hope all is well! 

Hermana AShcroft

No comments:

Post a Comment